Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hogar Amistad

Hogar Amistad in English means House of Friendship. It is an orphanage in Honduras and a place very close to my heart. When I was in high school, a family moved in down the street from my house who had adopted two young sons from Honduras. I babysat for the boys from the time they came home. The family started Hogar Amistad as shelter for the many many children in Honduras who need homes. At age fifteen, I was asked to accompany them and a group of doctors on a trip to Honduras to provide medical care, both to the children of the orphanage and in remote villages. The first group was very small, only about 12 people, one of whom was my childhood pediatrician.

I have been very lucky to travel to Honduras many times, I think about 10, with the medical brigade. It is the reason I decided to go to medical school. It is crazy to think that when I started I was a fifteen year old kid who was counting pills and carrying boxes and now I get to travel as a pediatrician. The group has grown as well. I think close to 50 people are expected to travel in a few weeks, including doctors, nurses, physical therapists, pharmacists, and aides. This year, Frank was coming with us. It would have been his first trip. I was very excited to show him this part of my life that he has heard so much about. Unfortunately, we won't be traveling this year. We have a great reason to not be going, as it would too risky to the pregnancy. We tend to work outside in 100 degree weather for 8-10 hours a day without unlimited access to water. What you bring out with you for the day is what you have. Honduras is also an area at high risk for contracting malaria and prophylactic medications are category C for pregnancy.

This past Sat, Frank and I went to help pack all of the donated medications and supplies onto the cargo pod which will be shipped today via banana boat to Honduras. That way everything is there and ready to go when the team arrives. It was very bittersweet for me. I got to see many of the brigade members and everyone is very excited for us and understanding, but I wish in my heart that there was some way for us to still go. I know I will return at some point but until then there is a small piece of my heart that remains in Honduras.

No comments: